Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Philadelphia: Nov. 11

I decided that I would try to finish this entry anyway. Nov. 11 was a Saturday. Tom decided that before we set out for the more time-consuming parts of the day, he would take me to his favorite view of the city. It was at the top of a hill in a park. I forgot the name of the park. Here we go, "Fairmount Park." Correct me if I am wrong, Tom. Here are some pictures of that view.
































After that, we drove to the art museum (or, more accurately, a residential area near the art museum which we walked through to get to the museum). The steps in front are famous from Rocky and we stood and laughed at the people who decided to re-enact the scene they are in. There were two people within about 3 minutes. Tom says he has a whole roll of film of different people who re-enacted the scene, just from one day. Funnily enough, when I got back to work the most frequent question I was asked was, "Did you go to the Rocky steps?" Here is a picture taken from the top of the Rocky steps.


















I think that my favorite stuff in the museum was the modern stuff. I also thoroughly enjoyed the first section we went to, which was old armor and weapons. They had some halberds there and I was pleased to finally see what a halberd is. Some of that stuff was really pretty. The museum was gigantic and I think I got too tired before I should have or wanted to. I think we were only there for a couple of hours.

Near the museum is the Schuylkill River. We sat down by it and I took some pictures.






















In the distance in this picture is an area called Boathouse Row, which is pretty but too far away to enjoy in this particular photo. Somebody was having a wedding in that gazebo slightly to the right of center.


















After that we walked back to the car, and then went a little further to a small deli/grocery store type place where we bought hoagies to eat. I have to admit that at that point I was ridiculously tired and exhausted for some reason. When we got home, I simultaneously fell asleep and devoured my food.

We sat around for a while and then Tom noticed that a band was playing that he really wanted to see (Fern Knight). So we drove to the place (called Johnny Brenda's). There were like...40 people there or so. Tom was really happy because a bunch of people from his favorite band Espers were there. The first opening band was called Woodwose. I don't remember what the second guy's name was, but he had the lights turned down until they were almost completely off. Fern Knight was good. I couldn't believe how many people were crammed on the stage. If you look at the myspace page I linked to above, I believe the main picture they have is from that night. My favorite song was Marble Grey. It had a very rich string arrangement and was beautiful. I am incapable of saying much more about that show, really. I will say that seeing Tom in that element, so excited and happy, was so sweet. I loved him so intensely the whole evening because of that.

That's it for that day. I think the next two days will probably be combined into one entry, maybe, because they were pretty low key.

3 comments:

Tom said...

Congratulations on your correct spelling of Schuylkill, which I'm sure you didn't look up.

Emily said...

1. Do you pronounce Schuylkill "Skylkill" or some other way? I just ask because...well, because I don't know, but also because the name of the actress who plays Diana Barry in Anne of Green Gables is Schuyler, and it's pronounced Skyler. Which I always thought was interesting.

2. So what exactly is a halberd?? Did they used to name them funny things like "Ron?" Or "Hrunting?" Why am I assuming it's a weapon?

3. I've never seen Rocky and don't really have an urge to do so. That said, if I had seen Rocky and then went to the 'Rocky Steps', I would undoubtedly reenact the scene. Because I'm that dorky. And apparently unoriginal.

Tom said...

Schuylkill is pronounced something like "SKOO-kle" for some reason. It's Dutch, I don't question it.

Also, you can make up for your dorkiness if you run up "The Rocky Steps" by going completely over the top with it. If you shout and yell enough, and then jump around pumping your fists and yelling "ADRIAAAAAAN" when you reach the top, your dorkiness goes all the way around the Earth and reappears on the "cool" side.