Thursday, May 31, 2007

Scary

My dad told me today that my grandma had a stroke last weekend. Luckily, she was with my aunt, so she got to the ER right away. She lost some memory and speech ability. But my dad said she's pretty much ok. It's so lucky she wasn't alone or driving. It could have been a lot worse. She lives by herself, so it's scary. I am hoping they can arrange for someone to be with her for a while. I don't know if this makes her more prone to another stroke. I hope not. She has really bad rheumatoid arthritis too. That scared me a few years ago when it started to get bad. I think I am going to go down there this weekend and help with moving stuff around her house or whatever needs to be done. I'm going to take my kitty, who can meet Toby. :D

2 comments:

Emily said...

They thought my grandma may have had a stroke a while ago, but they weren't sure. It seems kinda weird that they aren't sure. I guess it's hard to diagnose someone with alzheimers, though. I mean, she pretty much can't answer anything they ask her.

I was called in a few weeks ago to sub for a teacher that I've subbed for many times in the past. I found out while I was there that he may have had a stroke. He's nnot even that old...maybe 40s and seems to be in good shape. I hate how I never found out what happened with him. I hvae no idea if he's ok, or what.

My cousin (Peter) was in a really bad car accident last Monday (prior to Memorial day). Long story, but the short of it is: They were going 140 mph at the time of the crash. A girl was in critical condition, 2 guys in serious, and Peter I think was the best off with a broken arm (his arm bone broke completely in half and had to be attached or whatever with screws and rods. Scary.

I hope your grandma is ok.

Sarah said...

I hope your grandma recovers okay...I think most of the time recovery just depends on what the stroke was like. My dad's mom had a stroke and she lost her ability to move her arm and had to walk with a cane.

You're right about things being weird when grandparents (and eventually parents...yikes!) get older and more fragile. Here's to healthy hearts!