Thursday, April 24, 2008

Crazy day

We had a huge amount of layoffs at work yesterday, 10 in my division and from what I hear over 100 in the greater company. The guy that had my exact same job was laid off, so that hit close to home. My boss assured me "hell no" I wasn't in danger, but that's what all of us heard a month ago. I was terrified yesterday and couldn't sleep all night. It got to me a lot more than I would have thought. I think it was because it was such a huge number and was very sudden. I didn't see it coming AT ALL, though I probably should have. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my job because I think it's very difficult to get one right now. I somehow got into my head that our division might just shut down, because I don't know how many more people we can lose before we literally can't function, and that's what really got me. Somehow I managed to keep my job yesterday but who knows how long that will last? I don't really think that these layoffs are going to be the end of it, so I'm really pretty scared about it. I'm not sure what to do. I guess just keep my resume up-to-date. At least I'd qualify for unemployment, I think. I asked some people today whether they thought we'd shut down and they said maybe, so that didn't really help my peace of mind, but at least they were honest. It sucks being totally dependent on something you have no control over. And then to see all the news about gas prices and a rice shortage, the most plentiful food in the world. I think it's a sign of the coming apocalypse. That's cool at least...then assuming I survive I can experience post-apocalyptic life (my favorite genre of entertainment). Well, I'm going to try to nap now and watch some good TV tonight. Hope everyone is doing well!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The idea that the US could run out of rice is very misleading... supply/demand has driven prices up, and due to this, people are stockpiling - buying ridiculous amounts of rice. See here: http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2008/04/23/four-at-four-rice-beer-and-ups/?mod=WSJBlog Also, this is a little old but helpful: http://southwestfarmpress.com/news/050103-rice-enough-world/

Elizabeth said...

Thanks - I had heard that it might be media hype as well...

Emily said...

I have a feeling that I would NOT do very well in a post-apocalyptic environment. Although I enjoy that genre, as well.

Jobs. Bah. Someone lead me to a bazillionaire who wants to marry me. And doesn't want kids. And hopefully is nice, funny, and handsome. Is that really too much to ask??

I laughed about the rice shortage. and how Costco and Sam's were limiting people to 2 big-ass bags o' rice. Only because my first thought was, "Good thing I don't really care for rice." Then I imagined how long it would take me to go through a 20 lb bag of rice. Answer: forever. Unless we were living in a post-apocalyptic world. Then I may be forced to eat it more, because potatoes and stuff would no longer be an option.

Uhhh...that's it, I guess,

Candy said...

Whenever someone says the word post-apocalyptic, I think about this horrible Mel Gibson movie I was forced to watch once. Crap, I can't remember the name of it...Road Warrior, or something? I think the point was that he drove around Australia trying to find oil. Terrible. Don't ever watch it. I think I need some good examples of what is good in the post-apocalyptic genre.