I haven't thought about this for a long time because it just isn't important enough for me to think about. But it's come up a lot recently. All the other people I interact with at the hospital and in my family are really religious and I feel awkward about it. Honestly, I think it's stupid. I don't see why I should have to talk about religion when I don't have any kind of belief except that I don't have a belief. They don't really care, I don't think, but I feel weird about it.
It kind of worries me just because of the massive amounts of people that do believe in God. I don't really know how I can be "right". But reading the stuff in the book was just ridiculous to me. To me it seems like people are expecting their refrigerator to cure cancer. It's that ridiculous. I don't get it. Or that they're counting on the ladybug on my ceiling to give me a million dollars. I don't know. I just think it's dumb and I don't get it, and it worries me.
At the same time, I don't really want to get it. I don't want to be one of those God-y people. They annoy me.
Otherwise, I think the book was good. A bunch of people at the hospital recommended books lately so I got about 4 and this was one. I think it was good. Another one I have is also a little religious so I'm kind of iffy on that. But, at least the recommender did say that as a disclaimer and understood my misgivings.

4 comments:
I hear you on the God thing. I honestly can't understand how people SERIOUSLY believe in God...more specifically, an organized religion. It seems so ridiculous.
I agree. I can't understand how people can convince themselves with certainty about the existence of god. I feel like they have to be lying to someone about it. However, I have also seen research that says that religious people tend to be happier. I'm not sure why that is... I just know I can't ever see myself becoming religious either.
I agree. Religion sucks...just kidding. I like religion for the traditions. I enjoy giving others a sign of peace, singing about the Lord of sea and rain, and chewing and mushy/crunch paper-like disk of "bread" every week.
I'm not so much into the God thing, though.
I guess I didn't really proof-read my comment.
...chewing a mushy/crunchy....
Post a Comment