Sunday, January 27, 2008

Class

So there was an announcement on the site that skype isn't working for my teacher, so no class today. Interesting....I had mild panic because mine was acting weird as well. But I fixed it. I'll wait for like 15 more minutes I guess and then email her.
 
I forgot to mention that I watched this new Romanian movie called "4 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days". AV Club gave it an A so I thought I'd probably like it. It's on On Demand (IFC in theaters). By the way, I noticed that On Demand movies are now $5 instead of $4. That sucks. I usually watch free ones but still, it sucks. This one was $7 since it's in theaters. Anyway, it is pretty good. It's set in 1987 and it's about two girls who are trying to get an abortion for one of the girls. It was pretty good. On a side note, I had forgotten that Romanian is a Romance language. (I can't believe I forgot, it has the same name). Their word for thanks is merci, and some of their numbers are dos and cuatro and stuff. It's weird. I had totally forgotten so I was expecting Russian or something. Well, they do say "da" for yes. I don't know how much to write because I don't know if people will watch it or care if I'm writing about it. Well, here below I'll write more.
 
**************
Here below I'm going to discuss the movie. There are no "twists" so nothing will be ruined, but in case you don't like reading about stuff before you see it, then don't read it.
 
I'll tell you one thing, there was one part that made me extremely squeamish, that had to do with inserting a "probe" which was actually a tube. It was "sterilized" in alcohol. I say that in quotes because I mean it in a very loose sense. The guy doing the procedure wiped the tube once with an alcohol-soaked cotton ball and set it partially on some gauze. The procedure was putting the probe in really far and then leaving it there until the fetus came out. The name of the movie comes from how far along the girl was. So yup, they showed the fetus after it came out. That was nice. Thinking about that "probe" is making me want to throw up. It seems to me it's probably like a pap smear times 10. And I hate those so much!!! I was closing my eyes during that part like it was a horror movie.
 
They didn't think they could find a person to do the procedure so far along except for this guy. Otherwise, apparently they would have called a woman. So, it ended up that they didn't have enough money to pay so they both had to sleep with the guy. Can you imagine anything weirder than having to sleep with this skeezy much older dude and then he performs an abortion on you immediately afterwards? Not to mention, the friend had to as well and she really didn't have any reason to except to help her friend. Hey, guys, would you do that for me? Feel free to say no. I just wrote a huge paragraph about this and deleted it because of its innate controversy and weirdness.
 
Christ, can you imagine? The girl who wasn't having the procedure seemed to not be fazed by it but it was almost like "oh, just another thing happening in my day from hell, might as well do this too". The whole movie is in her point of view and she keeps going through more and more and more crap.
 
At the end, there is a scene where they're in a restaurant that same night and they get served a plate of stuff like brains, marrow, liver, etc. It is almost kind of humorous in a terrible way.

No comments: