Tonight Stargate was all about alien bugs again. Not replicators--actual bugs. And at the end they were talking about having a movie night, and Col. Mitchell said, "Let's watch Starship Troopers." Ha! It's all about alien bugs! :D
News of the day
It is so goddamn cold. It is SO cold. I don't know if I can remember a time when it was this cold. Maybe it is because we lived between two lakes in Madison, and in Rochester I can't really remember temps like this. It's like, you go outside and your face immediately hurts, and your lungs quit working. Inside, your feet and hands hurt because they can't stay warm. It is painful. I think it's worse because it's really windy. I do remember a couple of times in Madison by the windy corner by that Embassy apartment building that I almost threw up because of being hit by subzero winds. I get that reaction for some reason, either coughing or gagging.
I don't understand cold weather. I get that the sun doesn't heat up this part of the earth as much in winter, and that we're in the middle of the continent so it doesn't get warmed by the ocean. So it should be slightly less than average. But this...this is way beyond that. I can't believe that it's just arctic air moving in from the north. Can arctic air actually stay that cold, and make places it passes into that cold as well? It seems kind of unnatural. Heating is something a lot more natural to my mind, because of the sun. Cooling is a lot weirder. It's the same with bodies, or appliances, or whatever. It's way easier to heat something up than to cool it down, esp. when we're talking a considerable cool-down. I don't think the earth has freon! Or a homeostasis mechanism! Actually, it does have a homeostasis-type thing, but that wouldn't cause it to become very very cold in places where it usually isn't. Anyway...
I had a mildly boring but quick day. Tomorrow I may go to the library in Roseville. In recent days I have been really sad to be out of academia, for certain reasons. Not because I miss exams or homework. I miss having access to the libraries, and just being in an academic atmosphere. I physically cannot write anymore right now because my hands are literally frozen.
Friday, February 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I know what you mean about being out of academia. Wow, I actually used that word. I miss getting luch between classes while reading student newspapers, flashing my student i.d., and, most of all, listing "student" as my occupation on various internet registration pages.
On Temperature. It is cold here, too. I think with windchill it will be at -25 tonight. Luckily, I'm inside now and feel cozy with a nice warm cup of hot chocolate!
I did a Sudoku (4 star) and raced against my mom and she won hands down. I got to a point when I could not move on and she had to teach me a new strategy. I'm getting better and hope to soon be the champion sudoku player that I know in my heart I can be. I'm starting training tomorrow at 7. Better get a good night rest. Zzzz.
Post a Comment