Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Weekend at Liz's, part deux

After the Walker Art Center, we decided to go to IKEA. I couldn't exactly remember where it was, so I thought I'd use my best guess and go with that. I turned out to be wrong and we went for a while in the wrong direction. I then called my dad to ask where to go. I accidentally swore while I was on the phone and I hope he didn't hear me. I somehow retained a working knowledge of how the highways work around here so I managed to get us going the right way. However, we ended up making a circle around the entire north metro area. But we did get to IKEA, thanks very much. And in my defense, I think it would have taken nearly the same amount of time to get there, ok, maybe 15 minutes more, if we'd have gone the right way, because of how things are. I'll tell you one thing: I learned a lot that weekend about getting around in the cities. I don't drive that much around here, and after all, I've only been here for 4 or 5 months, so it was a learning experience for me.

At IKEA I bought a bunch of stuff including a shelf for my movies. Later, when I put it up, I realized that I do not have many movies. They only fill up 2.5 compartments of the shelf. So I can use it for CDs or books or whatever. I need more shelving because I already don't have enough space for my books. I had to severely limit the amount of books I brought when I moved because I didn't have space. It is sad. I've taken to reading quite a bit, so soon I'm going to run out of books. Right now I'm reading Crime and Punishment. How strange is that? Back to the story.

We decided to come back home after that because I was sick of driving and we were both tired. Of course, for some reason we couldn't/didn't get on 94 going west because I swear to god there wasn't an exit off of 35E. Sarah didn't see one either. So we just went up a little, which was fine since I had to get gas and my gas station was right on the way.

We decided to get a movie off of On Demand (Side note: I am sorry, but Comcast's selections are so crappy compared to Charter--in general I like Comcast better, because they're bigger and seem more well put together. Just compare their commercials and you will see. But in this dept. they need help). Nobody is more different in movie tastes than Sarah and me, and we found this out many times last summer when trying to get movies from Blockbuster with Sarah's free rentals. We are both very stubborn, also, so that made it even harder. We decided on this movie finally, and I'm going to go actually get it on the screen so I can get it right. Dammit! It's not there anymore. Well, the description was kind of like this. It was called Sex and the Teenage Mind. "Sexy, steamy, and hilariously funny, this engaging film brings you into the mind of a teenager and shows you what they think of sex." It was something like that. Well, we watched it and it was THE worst film I have ever seen. I don't know if Sarah would say that, but I know she also hated it. We looked at the description later and decided that it was a total lie. I wish it was still there so I could repeat it. It was not sexy or steamy or in any way funny. The actors were terrible. The plot was horrible. I called it a "Poor Man's American Pie" because that's basically what it was. A very poor man's. I'm just looking at it on imdb and it got 4.6/10 (generous). The guy who starred in it has been a guest star on like 40 television shows.

Anyway. Later we went to Perkins which was really good. We decided to get a snack, and went to Cub Foods, which is right across the street. We had trouble finding ice cream and had to ask. What's with grocery stores here? Did you know that the one I sometimes go to in Roseville has NO frozen vegetables? None! And at Target they only have a select few. I wanted french cut green beans. So I got 3 bags at Cub. Anyway, we went to check out and we went in different lanes. Sarah got done before me and went to wait at the end where the bags are so she could bag my food for me. She called out to me, "Do you want paper or plastic?" I said, "plastic is fine." We exchanged a few more words as my stuff was being checked out. I paid and went to the end and then noticed that the cashier woman was holding my food back. She was giving annoyed looks to Sarah and sighing audibly. I went over to Sarah and waited there for a second and then thought, "oh, maybe I have to go up further to get my food." I sort of approached the cashier lady and she kind of shied away and said in a haughty voice, "as soon as that is taken care of, I'll be happy to send this down." (said while pointing to Sarah and her purchase, which was on the conveyor belt waiting for my stuff. Sarah was like "whoa, ok!" And then I just got it as she sent it down and then we left. Oh my god, it was so weird. We talked about it the entire way home, and laughed until we cried. We decided that she must have had something kind of weird with her head because she was acting really strangely. There are so many things about the situation that are hilarious...that Sarah and I were talking, that nobody is going to run away with my food when I'm standing right there, etc.

Ok. We went home and didn't really do anything else. The next day we went to Taco Bell for lunch and then Sarah left.

Christ, I'm sick of writing!!!

I received my Don't Panic CD today. It's different than the others because it's in one of those packages that's basically a cardboard pocket. I think it's one of their prettiest pieces of artwork, though.


This picture I'm putting here is terrible and the color is all off, but you get the gist. It's a richer red and not so hot pink. Oh no, I just noticed that there is a blemish in the printing on mine. Oh well. Here, also, is the sister single (Yellow). I think they go so well together.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I agree with the worst movie ever title. Nothing about it was good at all. Horrible through and through. And it was definitely not "uncharted territory," which I believed the description also noted.

Nice job writing about the weekend, I could never do that. I forgot about some of the events, so it was a nice refresher course for me!!