I have had a most interesting day so far.
First thing this morning I come in and I actually felt pretty good, despite having gotten up extra early. I sat down and a coworker who shall remain unnamed came in and was talking to me about a hotline thing I did yesterday. I got a call from a customer service person and talked to her for a long time about this certain product someone was trying to order. The product was coming up with a price of $0, which occasionally happens when we forget to do one thing or another. Don't worry, usually you get an error if you try to buy those products--you don't get them free. This was happening to that agent. So I told the cust. service person I'd fix it and call her back. So, what I did first was check the pricing. There's an application that runs on our systems that pulls pricing based on item numbers. So I ran that and it said that the item number in question wasn't found. When this happens, we either check the item number or notify someone in development to fix it. So, I notified development. Then a bunch of emails went back and forth and it ended up that the aforementioned coworker said the $0 price was correct. Anyway, long story short, I should have just asked her. I figured that out by now, but when I'm in a time crunch situation I get flustered. I try to do as much as I can and I am proud of my problem-solving skills. The development guy agreed with me, I might add, that the item numbers should get prices even if they are $0. But this morning she comes in and goes, "When I'm on hotline, I always make sure to check with the person whose store it is before I go to development." I thought that was kind of rude. I'm in no way perfect, and I do make many mistakes. I should have gone to her first, but in my mind at the time I had figured it out. It was perfectly logical to me to get the item numbers to work. But it's not like it cost hours out of anyone's time. So that actually really made me feel bad. I'm already self-conscious enough about how I troubleshoot things.
That sort of goes into this other issue that happened this week. I was working on marketing credits (if agents can get products free). Someone was complaining that they didn't get as much free as they should have. So I went in and checked the credits that were applied to that agent and the report said that what was happening was correct. I found out later that a whole slew of marketing credits had been set up incorrectly. I have been getting calls all week about it. I found out that it's ok to change them so they get more free. At the time, though, I assumed that what we had set up was correct. I think the agent actually ordered the items and had to pay more...she can get a refund if she calls, but I had no idea. I feel bad. It was only $6, but how was I supposed to know? Anyway, I have been fixing them since then. I have saved agents at least $3 in total!....
Then there was this product that wasn't working, which I swear to freaking god I fixed. I checked it a bunch of times. Then the girl who's covering today got a call from the same guy saying "Elizabeth worked on this and said it's done but it's not" so I checked it and it was working on my computer, and then she as looking at it and it wasn't working on hers, etc, and it was an all-around stupid situation. I think she got it to work. I swear. They must think I'm a total and complete idiot.
However, I would like to point out here that I've figured out a lot of difficult things on my own. I figured out a difficult credit thing yesterday. It was actually making the agent pay $50 more than she should. I figured out why and the cust. service person said that I shouldn't change that credit. So, I'm almost wondering if the $6 one is actually ok. That $6 one was slightly different than the others I've been changing. I don't know. Plus, yesterday my favorite cust. service guy who I love called after my shift was done and specifically asked for me to fix something for him. :) He is also the one who called about the product I fixed which then didn't work again. Hopefully he still likes me, hahaha. He has a hilarious voice mail message that always makes me laugh. I actually had it in my head today for some reason and was saying this guy's voice mail message over and over to myself.
This is really stressful.
We went out to lunch because my manager is leaving, and it was actually a lot of fun. I sat next to one of the project managers we have, who I think is one of the prettiest women I've ever met. I'm not a lesbian or anything, not that there's anything wrong with that, but she is just gorgeous. There are a few people I've thought that about. One is a TA I had in college and one is a woman at my church. I think that she might also think I'm a total tool though, too. I once had to ask her a question and totally, totally messed it up. I also made a dumb mistake once when doing something for her.
I wish I would quit making mistakes. This is what always plagued me at the library as well. I consistently do things and then find that they aren't done, or are done wrong or partially done wrong. As you can see by my previous anecdotes. Tom always used to tell me, "We're the type of people that are really good at figuring things out, but we're not so good at actually doing them." I think that's accurate (and a nice try to say "we" instead of "you"--one of the reasons I will love him forever). He always said I'm going to have to try harder at making sure I do things accurately and think them through. The thing is that I do...but my brain just cannot come up with circumstances where something is wrong. I'll sit there and think about how what I'm doing could go wrong, but everything seems fine. For instance, I'm looking through the site I'm working on right now, and everything is perfectly fine. I can't think of any conceivable thing that could be wrong. But I KNOW there is something. Just a minute ago I was going through with my boss and he found something right away that I forgot. I'd really like to be better at this, but it's nearly impossible to get my brain to do something it physically cannot do. It's so weird. And very troubling.
I hope that people don't see my mistakes as a major part of me. I don't doubt my habit of making them, but hopefully most people can see that I really try not to make mistakes. I think that other things make up for it, hopefully, like working fast and knowing what I'm doing. And generally figuring things out really well. That's probably my biggest redeemer, besides Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour--the fact that I can figure things out super well.
Anyway, we went out to lunch and it was fun. We discussed car accidents and the fact that I have never been pulled over, gotten a ticket, or had an accident. We also discussed alcohol and I felt out of the loop. We discussed "Dancing with the Stars" which I have not been following.
I don't know what the deal is but I've gotten so many compliments today. One or two were really funny. The coworker who said "I always check with the person whose store it is" said "I love your sweater! Where is it from?" I said, "Lane Bryant." She said, "I'll have to check that store out!" Which I laughed to myself about, because she is a tiny person. Haha. My manager, who is a guy, was raving about my earrings, which I thought was hilarious. He is a typical guy's guy and was just loving them and I even took them off so he could have a closer look. This other woman was like, "You look really nice today! And very different! Did you do something different?" I had not. I got a lot of compliments on my earrings. They're cool. I actually put on full makeup today which probably made me look 1,000 times better than usual.
Anyway, I think that's about enough for now. I've spent half an hour writing this and I think that is probably too much. Later.

No comments:
Post a Comment