The Long Winters show was on Wednesday. Before their actual performance, Wednesday was the worst day of my life. It was so horrible for so many reasons. I don't even want to think about it.
I hated the opening bands just because they existed. But then I saw John Roderick (of previous blog entry fame and lead-singer-of-the-band fame) standing just a few feet away. At the last show he was also milling around the audience just checking things out. Laura and I were both fascinated both times by his tendency to do that. His nonchalant attitude is so interesting.
Long Winters-wise, the show was pretty good. I could not believe that it made me feel better. I honestly did not think it was going to. But I always forget how moving music is when you love it so intensely. They did my favorite song ("The Commander Thinks Aloud"). During that song I leaned against the wall and felt like I was kind of part of the song because I could actually feel it. The audience was really good. There were about 60 people, Laura estimated. Here is a crappy picture I took.

The most prominent person is John. The drummer is Nabil. The other two are not really visible.
Laura was excited that they played "Blue Diamonds." We both thought they sounded excellent. It was the first night of the tour, which is something. Last time, it was near the end of the tour and you could tell. Nothing will ever beat that time in Chicago, though.
The Long Winters are this weird thing that I'm not sure I understand. I have no idea how popular they are. Apparently not incredibly popular, since there were so few people there. But it's so skewed to me because a) they have 4 albums or something (not that that means anything, but you know), b) John is SO good, and c) I love them so much. I don't get the deal...I think in later paragraphs it might be even weirder to you guys as well.
Speaking of John himself, let me say a few more things about him. He's hysterical. He's constantly talking and having conversations and telling stories and jokes on stage. That makes a show sooooo much better. I keep telling people that their music is basically pretty normal when you listen to their records, but when you see them perform it's such a transformation. And a lot of that is his presence. Not only is he really hilarious, etc, but he's very, very good at playing the music. He looks comfortable, he's emotive, and he puts anything and everything into every single note. I sort of feel like watching him play a song is like feeling an entire life...being born, living through all kinds of experiences, and dying. It's heartbreaking and joyful and heartbreaking again and sort of makes you want to die. I don't really understand how a human being can do that and make it seem so effortless. Added to that is his extreme friendliness, etc. An extremely good man in all ways, it seems.
So keeping that all in mind, here's the next part of my story. Last night I was trying to figure out some way I could post a note on their myspace page or something saying "great show" or whatever. I went to their website, thelongwinters.com and viewed a strange thing. If you go to the site, you will see what I mean. At the bottom of the screen is a mailto link with the name "John Roderick." I saw it and was like "what the hell?" Because what mildly popular indie rock band has their lead singer's name/email linked to on every page? What kind of site has a mailto link these days anyway? (That's beside the point).
Curiosity got the best of me and I had to try it out. I wrote just a few things - that I couldn't believe this email address was listed in this way, what shows I'd been to, how I enjoyed them, and how I think he's incredible. And I wrote have fun in Madison, since they were there Thursday.
GUESS WHO REPLIED WITHIN AN HOUR?
John. John replied. From his personal Gmail address. What the fuck? I think I flipped inside out. I was so wired that I went to the exercise room and worked the shit out of the elliptical. I have never "run" that hard (I say that in quotes because it isn't really running in the technical sense. What do I say? I was ellipticizing? Side note: I like making up words that end with -cize or -cise).
Anyway, he said thanks for the kind words, and said a little about the shows I mentioned. I think it is impossible for him to talk without being witty. In that sense he's the complete opposite of me. Then he said "we'll talk soon." So that drove me into a Tunnel Of Figuring Out How To Reply. I have a start right now. The funny thing is, I sense that he'll be delighted with absolutely any response. In that way he kind of reminds me of Toby. Just happy to be alive and delighted with everything. What a cool way to see the world.
So I was just so excited to have contact with him, because it's so energizing to commiserate with a person who is so, so positive. Also, as is evidenced above, I love him. So that's another thing. And, as I joked with a few people, he's friends with Ben Gibbard, so I now have 1 degree of separation from Ben. HEE HEE! :D I was toying with the idea of mentioning Ben in my reply, to see what, if any, response I received. The jury is still out on that. It's a cheap shot, I know, and I don't really care if I do it or not, but it's the kind of thing I sort of itch to try (sort of like the email in the first place).
That's kind of the reason I'm more confused than ever about this band. How the hell did this all happen? It just is so weird to me. I would never, ever be able to randomly email, let's mention again, Ben Gibbard, and if somehow I did, I don't think he'd ever reply like that. The whole thing is like...a joke of some sort. Maybe it is just an indication of how they want their band to be. I get the impression that they do want to be really accessible and could care less about being "famous." Who knows...
Anyway, it's been a killer week emotion-wise. I'm glad it's over. Later!

3 comments:
I'm glad you enjoyed the concert, and cool about the email thing!
You know, I frequently get a huge kick out of your emails. I really do think you're hilarious. This sentence cracked me up:
"I was so wired that I went to the exercise room and worked the shit out of the elliptical."
I don't know. It just seemed so funny to me imagining you saying the phrase, "worked the shit out of..." Hahahahaha!! I love it.
Then you compared Long Winters guy (I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me remember his name!!!) to Toby. I loved that as well.
Yeah.
amazing. it reminds me of when you saw coldplay in chicago and, well, you know the story.
sarah. that was minneapolis. haha you confused two midwestern metropolises!
Post a Comment