Saturday, December 29, 2007

Iceland

So I'm watching this movie about Icelandic music - right up my alley, right...well I'm bursting with stuff to say and so I thought I'd pause it and write some stuff. I knew that Iceland as a country has been going through a "renaissance" of sorts when it comes to film - they have their own type of film and all that which I know a bit about, but I guess they are having that with music as well - since they became independent (1944) I guess they have been coming up with all sorts of new stuff. I think music may be experiencing even more of a boom than film. Anyway did you know Bjork has been recording since 1977?? Jesus. That's 30 years. I had no idea. They haven't even gotten to Sigur Ros in the movie yet. I ordered their live DVD - should get it this week sometime. Can't wait to see it. I'm surprised at this documentary I am watching. I had no idea. I'm not sure why I had no idea.

A cool side note is that I have understood words here and there. I haven't studied for quite a while and so I'm excited. I recognized the name of the record label that most of them are on (Smekkleysa) and was proud that a) I knew the word - it means "bad taste" and b) that I knew it was the record label most of them are on. I may have ordered something from Smekkleysa before. Can't remember. Yeah I did, one of my sigurros albums. Ok back to the movie.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sorry - I meant that I ordered their live DAD.