Sunday, December 30, 2007

Interesting

This is an interesting piece of follow-up on the movie I just found about a guy who was in a few bands including a couple with Bjork - Sigtryggur Baldursson. Sar - I wonder if he's married to K. Gisladottir or at least knows her?????? How many Icelandic people would move with their spouses to Madison, Wisconsin? Emily - Emiliana Torrini! Self - Morgunblaðið!

After KUKL, Sigtryggur followed up with The Sugarcubes achieving big success abroad. Other music projects followed such as Bogomil Font, and by 1993 he moved with his wife to Madison, Wisconsin, where he collaborated with some local bands and from Chicago, set up a sublabel for Bad Taste, called Bad Taste USA, created his own drum session studio called The Slaughterhouse and recorded a few sampler discs at Laughing Cat and Æthen and Butch Vig's Smart studios. He collaborated with Jóhannes Jóhannsson and released an album called Dip, then with Emilíana Torrini on her album Love in the Time of Science. He also played in Grindverk with Einar Örn and Hilmar Örn Hilmarsson, and more recently in a duet called Steintryggur with Steingrímur Guðmundsson. Sigtryggur has also written articles for the radiostation Bylgjan, and newspapers Mannlif, Morgunblaðið, Vísir and Bleikt og Blátt.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Was Karin a twin? The only thing I could find out was that his wife is a twin. I realize it's seriously doubtful that it's her, but honestly, out of 300,000 people, what are the chances he would move to Madison, Wisconsin?

Emily said...

I'm a little unclear--did you like this movie or not?

*wink wink*

< /sarcasm >

w00t!!

I just realized how the whole < /sarcasm > thing bothers me... I mean, in order to do it properly I'd need to add a < sarcasm > tag before my statement, and that'd just be dumb.

Emily said...

whoa.

sarcasm looks like a really weird word right now.

sarcasm

sar

casm

sarah

chasm.

Chasm. that's a word, right? 'Cause now that looks weird.

Elizabeth said...

Sarah WTF! I'm looking up K. now and I think I just found a picture of Christina, because K. lives in Shorewood (or did). ??!?!? This is weird.

Elizabeth said...

http://www.shorewood-hills.org/
committees/recreation/soccer/pics/
team_shootingstars2.jpg

Is that her? (I had to add spaces, fyi. Sorry)

Sarah said...

Okay. Sorry for the late response...I was at the Packer game today with my parents!!

Karen used to live in Eagle Heights, right next to Shorewood, and her daughter was in Alex's K/1 class. As far as I know, they have moved away. I don't think she is a twin and I'm guessing that she is not the same person as this guy's wife. I didn't get the impression that Karen had been in Madison for ten years at the time I met her. Just a guess, though.

I couldn't get to the page that you sent me the link for, but I did manage to find a pic of Christina from the Shorewood site. It is of a group of kids in blueish uniforms. She's the third girl in from the left, front row. Funny!!

Sarah said...

okay. i just saw something you probably already saw. k is the contact for one of the teams. maybe she is still around. next time i see alex i'll ask about it.