Wednesday, May 07, 2008

"Cyclone" in "Burma"

There are a few things I've found interesting about the "cyclone" in "Burma". First of all, it's weird how storms in other parts of the world are called different names. I was sure that cyclone was another word for hurricane, but apparently a hurricane is actually a cyclone. Tsunami is another one. It seems like tsunamis and cyclones would never happen in the US...it would be tidal wave and hurricane. Not that I care, it's just interesting. Secondly, what's with everyone going "Myanmar, formerly known as Burma"? Does anyone actually go..."Myanmar? WTF? OHHHH....Burma, I get it now." Myanmar has been Myanmar as long as I've known it. Oh, I just wikipedia-ed it and I guess it's a controversial name because of the government. That makes a lot more sense. I thought it was just nobody thought we would remember what country it was. Russian Federation? WTF? Ohhhhh.......the USSR! Ok. France?? Oh yeah I remember now, Gaul!!!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I just thought I'd comment that this post made me laugh a lot.

that's all.