I was just looking at mtv.com, which is an action I try to avoid at all costs. I was just trying to find out if there was ever going to be a situation in which I could tape the Talk video. Well each page took about a minute to load, and besides that, each page had at least 2 of those stupid-ass ads that take up the whole page and won't let you read anything. 2, you say? I thought only one was sufficient to impede your reading. Nope, there were two. And even better, they were the SAME AD.
Is there ANYTHING that pisses me off more than those ads? I think not. Agggghhhhh! Why do they do that?! You know, I was reading the Onion the other day and there was an ad that made the browser spontaneously shrink to 1/4 of its size. Seriously! And it did it by itself. It didn't say "roll over to shrink." It actually just did it and then you had to click something to restore the size. It was the most obnoxious thing I've ever encountered. It did it every time I went to a different page. It was even more annoying than Crumble-lievable, which holy shit, just came on television right now. That's kind of a weird coincidence.
Also, I watched a ton of television today and there is a commercial that got into my head, hence the title of this post. My only hope is Obi-wan. I mean, my only hope is that I can get a different song into my head. Currently the god-awful ad is still there. It was on every single break.
Honestly, as many times as I have ranted about ads in the past, I think that recently they've really gotten out of hand, especially online. I am not sure if they have regulations, but I think there actually aren't. I was reading some news on Slashdot the other day (News for Geeks) and it said something about not allowing Google and Yahoo to profit off of ads anymore. If I remember correctly, ads are almost all of their profit revenue. It's probably similar with most sites. I know that with mine, there is basically no way to generate profit without them, because the internet is free and most humans with compassion don't want to charge for just looking at a page. Therefore, it's a big abyss that sucks in your money if you want to be nice, or it will pay you if you want to be an obnoxious moron and annoy your users to no end. Sounds great!!!
Sunday, December 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment