Thursday, December 29, 2005

Oh MAN!

Ok, so there is a good side and a bad side to being sick.
 
Bad side: It sucks.
Good side: when you get around to eating again, it tastes better than ever before. I had some pizza last night and it was the best thing I've ever tasted. YUMMY!
 
I'm in an uncharacteristically good mood today. It's funny because last night I was in an extra bad mood. I think my good mood has to do with the fact that I've been less of a moron today. The other day I was having to go around explaining stuff to people, and wasn't doing a very good job. I like to pull off the impression that I know what I'm talking about, but when I have to actually speak, I can't do it at all. Writing, on the other hand, makes me look so very good.
 
This morning I figured out this weird problem I got a call on the other day and was proud of myself. I put in a note on the work request and was very happy at how it sounded:
 
Upon further investigation, I found out that there was a manual data feed on Dec. 2 that contains all of those strange Agents/Offices. The feed is peculiar because the agents are almost all female and there are 9391 of them (I believe there are around 1700 in actuality). 

The feeds that have been going through otherwise look normal. I believe that all of the other offices are still there, hidden within the other mysterious ones. I checked for two of them and found them.

I will check with Anita on Tuesday to find out where these records came from, if we need to get rid of them, and how to get rid of them.
 
Sounds professional, huh? I've found that if I have some time to look up the issue, then I can pretty much figure out what's going on. However, I sometimes can't actually fix it...but that's besides the point.
 
All y'all who have asked me for computer help before: you prepared me for this job. Actually, in my interview they asked me if I would be ok with answering the hotline. I said that I get asked computer questions all the time and that I have gotten pretty good at problem solving. It seemed to work.
 
At first I was terrible on the phone and asking questions to people, but over the couple days I've gotten slightly better. It helps a lot that the people calling are generally really nice. It's only a groups of like 15 people that call. I think I am in love with one of them because the other day he started humming that "circus-y" tune that always plays when seals are balancing balls on their noses or elephants walking on tightropes, you know which one I mean? I still feel dumb running in and asking my manager every single time someone calls, especially because sometimes I forgot to check something beforehand. But hey, I'm in a time crunch. And he said to ask him. Whatever, hopefully I'll get better soon.
 
All in all, it's way, way better than I expected, which is a huge surprise. I've been dreading doing this since I heard about it in my interview back in August.
 
Another reason things are going well: a woman came in to give me some stuff today and said "Hello, Miss Elizabeth!" And later I had a small chat with another woman and that kind of thing makes my day.
 
Things that made yesterday a bad day: My mom did yet ANOTHER stupid-ass thing to my sisters. I'm seriously starting to have a conversation with myself on whether it would be good to actually cut ties with her. The problem is that you never hear anything good about that, and you always hear of people on their deathbed wishing they had worked things out. Well, you can't work things out with someone who's insane. But honestly, I don't know what else to do. She gets worse and worse and you cannot reason with her. I have seriously never met anyone like her. She is a piece of work.
 
Well, that's all for now. I'm going to take a picture of my new watch later, which I bought last night with a gift card. It is beautiful!

No comments: